The scholar comes to life - part 3
With the scholar we've been working on in part 1 and part 2, our patron "M" asked for ALL the accurate visual details, including a ruff.
Now, I have never considered wearing one because my neck is short and, well, thick. However, I was excited to research and put theories to the test!
The supplies I would need are: linen fabric, spray starch, liquid starch, cotton lace, and a curling iron.
The instructions I was following said for storage to keep the starched ruff tied around your ironing stand, with the thread in place. Put the thread back in before washing your ruff to help with the re-starching and ironing process.
Anyway, here's a preview of me in the ruff along with the coif and hat, which will be the next post. You can tell how "thrilled" I am with ruffs in general, even if this one DID turn out really nice.
The scholar comes to life - part 2
This will be a short one. Black cuffed knee length pants, elastic waist. Overall, the pants are meant to have even less impact than the shirt. They are the afterthought of the outfit, really.
I used black apparel canvas (NOT outdoor/upholstery canvas). The waist has a tabs with a belt slider on the side seams for fit adjustment, and elastic in the back waistband for movement and comfort. I know, I know - elastic is not exactly period appropriate. But, as a regular and serious rennie myself, there have to be considerations made for comfort when wearing costumes all day and in possibly extreme weather situations. The buttons on the knee cuffs were purely decorative and not strictly necessary, but it's these little things that make it special.
Sorry for the photo quality below! The camera adjusted the light settings to the white table, and the details of the black fabric were lost unless we messed with the light balance after the photo was taken.
Ta da! The finished product. The dress dummy is so helpfully holding the pants up with her non-existent arms. ;)
Both Kate and I are quick to encourage our friends to enjoy the same hobbies that make us tic. So when a friend newly made at D&D night said he'd like to expand his LARPing from Vampire: the Masquerade (not really my thing) to a Renaissance Faire (definitely my thing!) and needed a costume, of course we said YES. Our friend "M" wanted to go as a scholar. Kate started on the shirt, and her post follows.
The shirt is the most basic part of any renaissance costume. It goes underneath everything, and if the costume is of sufficient stature and formality, you may only see the edges of it when the whole costume comes together. It's traditionally white, and of a fine fabric. Trying to photograph the parts all cut out and waiting assembly was difficult, as I have a white worktable, and the pile disappeared into the table when initially photographed!
This shirt didn't have a lot of surprises. I'd used the pattern before, and the only major changes were the collar lace and tied neck opening. As the costume was to have a real, honest-to-goodness ruff separate from the actual shirt, the lace was really there as back up just in case the ruff was gone. As such, I did use a slightly stiffer interfacing for the collar than I normally would have.
In order to economize fabric (and because the client was a rather taller gentleman than the pattern was meant for), I ended up adding a wide strip to the bottom of the shirt to increase length. You'll have to excuse the indignity of displaying the shirt on a female dress form, but right now she's the only option I have. A nice beginning to this project!
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!