Both Kate and I are quick to encourage our friends to enjoy the same hobbies that make us tic. So when a friend newly made at D&D night said he'd like to expand his LARPing from Vampire: the Masquerade (not really my thing) to a Renaissance Faire (definitely my thing!) and needed a costume, of course we said YES. Our friend "M" wanted to go as a scholar. Kate started on the shirt, and her post follows.
The shirt is the most basic part of any renaissance costume. It goes underneath everything, and if the costume is of sufficient stature and formality, you may only see the edges of it when the whole costume comes together. It's traditionally white, and of a fine fabric. Trying to photograph the parts all cut out and waiting assembly was difficult, as I have a white worktable, and the pile disappeared into the table when initially photographed!
This shirt didn't have a lot of surprises. I'd used the pattern before, and the only major changes were the collar lace and tied neck opening. As the costume was to have a real, honest-to-goodness ruff separate from the actual shirt, the lace was really there as back up just in case the ruff was gone. As such, I did use a slightly stiffer interfacing for the collar than I normally would have.
In order to economize fabric (and because the client was a rather taller gentleman than the pattern was meant for), I ended up adding a wide strip to the bottom of the shirt to increase length. You'll have to excuse the indignity of displaying the shirt on a female dress form, but right now she's the only option I have. A nice beginning to this project!
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!