It's not a secret recipe or anything, but even outside of our family, this recipe has always gotten positive reviews. I think I've had it as doughnuts maybe once or twice in my life. Usually it's made into crescent rolls or cinnamon rolls. I've grown up with it, and a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter without it just doesn't feel the same.
So when a friend asked for a good roll/bun recipe, this one was the first one I thought of. I had the ingredients and had been meaning to make a batch for about a week, so I decided to take pictures of the process and send them along with the recipe.
The instructions are mostly as written, with a few exceptions, which I will highlight along the way.
Some notes about the ingredients:
The slideshow above will take you through making the dough. This is a sweetened, enriched dough with a very light texture.
I usually bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, for between 15-25 minutes, depending on how big the rolls are, and how closely they are placed together. This recipe is excellent for freezing and reheating in the oven, especially if you don't let the rolls brown beyond a light honey color.
I've noticed a pattern developing. For two out of the (now) three dollhouse apartment kits I've put together, I've used them as distraction/stress relief while my real-life housing is in flux.
As I alluded to in my last post, some big life changes have come. Namely, I've decided to leave my current job, and move closer to Rachel. It wasn't an easy decision to make, both because of the current pandemic, and because it means no longer working in a library. But I knew once I made the decision, it was the right one.
Life has moved quickly! I will have approximately 20 days between the last day at my old job, and my first day at the new one. In those 20 days, I will need to pack and make moving arrangements, find new accommodations, and do the thousand chores it takes to move house and change address.
So, what do I do first? Finish this kit that I started shortly after completing the last one.
As with the last kit I put together, this one has you make all the elements for the different rooms before putting together the shell and filling the space. First up was the bed for what I deemed the "spare room".
The bed for the spare bedroom, along with the shelf and desk was completed before Christmas. But I still had the rest of the furniture and accessories, along with the shell to finish.
Having this little kit to focus on in the evenings was a great way to keep my fingers occupied while my brain whirred. I began to hope that whatever my new accommodations would be, I would be able to make them as cute and inviting as this kit.
And here it is, all lit up! I think the acrylic dividers do a nice job of giving the illusion of walls and separate spaces without closing anything off.
The pictures on the cover of the instruction booklet highlight the green and grey tones in the kit, but now that I have it all together, I'm not sure what is the main color theme. Regardless, I enjoyed imagining myself into this little apartment while making it, as I hope you've enjoyed coming along with me for the ride!
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!