Never thought I'd consider myself to have big clumsy fingers. I was the one who made the teeniest of Barbie clothes as a younger crafter! However I've come across something that nearly broke me!
Right after completing the bulk of the dress for "L" I needed a non-sewing crafty break. I also came down with a nasty head cold that kept me away from work for a couple days. Thanks to Pinterest and some quick searching on Amazon I discovered Japanese dollhouse room kits that were adorable! And 1/24th scale! And only $15-$20! With lights! How could I resist?
The instructions weren't available online, so I had no real idea of how difficult these kits might be, or just how much of the necessary supplies were actually included in them. But in my excitement I just clicked purchase! A few weeks later, direct from China, a box appeared in the mail.
Hmm... There seems to be more Japanese text than I first suspected. Maybe the back will have more information?
This was going to be quite the adventure! I just prayed and hoped the instructions would be in English.
Sigh. Still no luck. However, I was saved by two things: numbers still looked the same, and everything was step-by-step with pictures. Even the individual pieces were listed in the instruction booklet, and not pictured here was a fairly large piece of plain paper with patterns printed on it for all the other pieces that needed to be cut, like the fabric for the couch cushions.
I think I stumbled along fairly well, and this kit was advertised to be customize-able! Make your own! DIY! So I wasn't too worried about getting a few details wrong, and all the important pieces were already cut to size and painted so I couldn't mess that up too much.
I did finally find an English translation for instructions to a different kit in a different design line, but from the same company with LED lights and optional music box. The warnings in red just turned out to be general electrocution warnings since little kids could be doing this kit. However, a shock from two AAA batteries didn't worry me.
I did agonize over what craft glue to use, since they recommended a brand called UHU. It seemed to be only manufactured in the Philippines. After some MORE internet researching on a few discussion boards I learned this kit just needed flexible non water based glue, like clear Liquid Nails or E6000. I already had a tube of E6000, so I could begin!
The English instructions I found online earlier had estimated two days to complete that kit, and I assumed it would be similar with this one. However, I think something got lost in translation. This kit took around 48 hours of working time to complete, not two days of intermittent crafting. If I hadn't been home sick this would have taken a whole week of work nights to do.
Also, the glue had plenty of fumes. I highly recommend working in an area with a window and/or a fan. I was stopped up with my head cold, so I didn't really notice until things got bad. Take a lesson from me though!
And now for some cute interior shots:
I noticed in the suggested decorating that many places where there were blooms of flowers an even number was preferred to an odd number. Is this an East vs. West thing? I know I've been told odd numbers are better, so that's what I did, mostly.
Another quirk to this kit: it is very definitely only meant to be viewed from one angle. In fact, the upgraded kits include a Plexiglas shell you can glue around it to keep dust out while you admire it from a shelf.
I think the boxed flowers are there only meant to be viewed through the window from the inside. The battery kit for the lights is cleverly hid in the space behind the fireplace, and behind the china hutch is space for a music box! However, I didn't get the deluxe kit. :( Cue ebay listings! This music box, is, of course a special size. Hopefully $8 and a few weeks from now I can install it.
Until then I'll leave you with this warm and welcoming shot and the knowledge that I have already ordered another kit...
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!