Ok. Well, at the end of my last post about this dress series, I said it would be a while before I got back to the dress. I have a sick little one at home and I probably should be conserving my sleep... but just look at this gorgeous blue fabric! It's a linen that I got by the bolt to save money. Kate and I each have 5 1/2 yards to play with. And, with the bodice pattern properly fitted, cutting out the pieces was a (relative) breeze.
Excitement got the better of me and I took a few minutes one morning to nip down to my basement sewing room to pin the whole thing together. Note; I didn't end up using the lovely cotton trim that is pictured. I still have it, waiting for another project.
There are SO. MANY. other details to go on the dress that this step is kind of like squinting your eyes at a painting to see the blobby outline without details. But it was what I needed for inspiration to keep going!
So this lovely floral fabric is the reason the round medallion trim wouldn't work. I had other overdress fabric picked out that looked very different in full size than in the small swatches I had compared earlier.
The new fabric is linen as well, with machine embroidery in dark blue. I had found some on clearance years ago, as had Kate. We both forgot about it until desperation for a suitable fabric had me digging to the bottom of my storage tubs.
I knew I wanted the overdresses to be sleeveless, so I was draping a bit here to get an overall feel for the (now altered) design. It's full speed ahead for me!
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!