With pattern making and fitting on Kate's bodice behind me, it was time to add structure. Our past German gown bodices had minimal boning, as that was the style for them, and our Italian dresses had thicker fabric and a shortened bodice, which cut down on necessary boning. But the English ideal was a more column shape. We would need help.
I had tried a very simple online corset generator years ago with minimal success. I didn't understand my own body shape well enough to make necessary adjustments, and I didn't understand the best boning placement. With success in at least two other garments I had a plan.
The boning lines on the front were drawn with inspiration from the Dorothea von Neuburg "bodies" that survived from the late 1500s. If you're wondering, yes. The boning is gigantic zip ties. I've been told they behave much like the historical reeds that were originally used.
The stitching for the channels was just done between the lining and interlining, leaving the front smooth.
Here is the trim and notions that will need to be added all laid out in one photo artistically. Kate previewed the bodice trim placement in the last post. Sleeves will be added by lacing them to rings sewn on the armholes and top of sleeves.
The finished bodice fit tighter than I intended, but I found over time the linen stretched quite a bit. Makes it more comfortable to wear all day. One step closer to the finished dress!
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!