I had a sneaking suspicion, and proved myself right. I knew, just *knew* that I had more up to date pictures on my cell phone of the Allison, Jr. dollhouse build. After Kate snapchatted me updates of kitchen cabinet building last weekend I had to take a look... and ta da!
The MDF the housebody is made out of is notiously difficult to drill through. Actually, we were using drill bits and a chisel for the first few holes, but then Dad found and sent a miniature router bit for the off-brand Dremel (bought at Harbor Freight) that miraculously hasn't crapped out on this project yet. In about two sessions Kate and I got holes drilled, wiring soldered to outlets, and things glued in place. The momentum kept Kate going throughout the week and she got the dining room started! It looks like a place I'd love to eat in real life. Which is I guess why people build dollhouses - to recreate real life, right?
Not pictured in the dining room progress above: installation of a dark wooden floor that is more in scale with the house. Kate's decided to move on to a few other projects before going back to install baseboard and crown moulding, so no completed pictures of the dining room... yet. :) However, thanks to some Christmas presents she HAS decided to go with the (more expensive and labor intensive) custom kitchen cabinetry. The cabinets come unassembled and unfinished, including needing to drop in a separate metal kitchen sink into the wooden cabinet box. This is a level of detail even I didn't attempt with my dollhouse but it will look FANTASTIC when finished.
To be perfectly fair, the kitchen space is quite oddly shaped, so even if we had bought a kitchen kit some customization was always in the works. For right now I think the two of us have moved on to Renaissance dresses, so as has been the case several times over the last few years, the dollhouse is once again on pause.
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!