As of January of this year, I hadn't done a dollhouse, or really anything in miniature, and the itch was getting pretty bad. However, Renaissance Fest clothing projects were taking good chunks of my time and craft room space, not to mention crafting/sewing budget!
I had completed this kit previously, and it was addictive. With a wedding shower/bachelorette party coming up later in October, I had my excuse to do another! I even had a music box for this kit, as my previous attempt at ordering the "upgrade" for my other kit resulted in two other music boxes in perfect working order that now needed a miniature to go around it. ;)
The box arrived a little beat up, but the contents weren't damaged, so it was a go ahead with no pre-repairs!
Something minor was lost in translation, which I found humorous. This series is by Cuteroom and is called "Tagether Around" with this particular model called "LOVE IS PERMANENT." And yes, the misspelling of "together" and the command in all caps that love is "PERMANENT" is what was printed on the instructions. A dubious beginning!
However (and to my great relief) these instructions had been translated into English already, so I was able to conserve materials along the way and use the patterns for cutting out the fabric and paper components instead of wasting materials in trial and error.
The instructions have the builder start with the sweets on the table (well, actually the table itself) which is probably a good thing since those little pieces can drive a person batty. I mean, they are teeny tiny!
Now on to what i had been looking forward to putting together: the dress, with lights installed underneath. (I had to test it out once!) If I had access to more supplies I would have styled the dress a bit differently, but overall the gold, silver, bows, lace, tulle, etc., etc., etc. work all together in a busy jumbled mess. I did end up making the bodice slightly more modest by lining it instead of letting the black dress form peek through the piece of lace.
Above are the dress, table, and lantern in place to gauge overall fit before I glue things down.
One of the elements was a board with blank spaces to fill in the names and dates for that special day. This was my best attempt with my best pen - this thing is itty bitty in real life!
And of course since it's over the top in design anyway, the whole thing just screams out that it needs an arch covered in pink puffy organza. Of course. (And it's lighted underneath!)
Somehow I managed to squeeze everything on the stand. There are holes in the black plastic base for the wires to go through. And you can see the extra plate of candies I included on the "grass" in back, made out of scraps from the other details. You can also see my hand in the picture, which should give an idea of exactly how small this thing really is!
Lit up it is really quite beautiful.
The switch for the lights and the key for the music box are on the bottom. However, a few months after I completed the kit I was showing it to my dad, and the music box refused to work! After prying the plastic pieces of the base apart I discovered the inexpensive "electrical tape" holding all the wires back away from the music box gears was not holding up. I replaced it with the real stuff, and now it's just a waiting game until the bridal shower in October! I plan on this being on a cake or cupcake stand at the top, with fancy tea party decorations all around.
Twins each with half a brain in reality; the other half displayed here!